If you are struggling to find something your farm crew will eat and you need dinner ideas; you have come to the right place! Try this delicious and simple Frittata recipe. It’s quick and easy.
Just One Skillet and Fresh Eggs!
I love breakfast food. Maybe because it is consistently one of the few things I cook well, maybe because it is almost always made up of entirely fresh and whole foods. No weirdly spelled, completely unpronounceable words in my breakfast food. Whatever the reason I love it.
I especially love it at dinner time. Breakfast for dinner is always a great way to get food on the table that I know the farm crew will eat.
One of my family’s favorites is the Frittata.
Sounds fancy right? Like you could impress all your friends the next time they are over to sip mimosa’s and dine on your amazing Frittata.
Here’s a secret…it’s not fancy at all. In fact it is super simple, think egg casserole in a skillet.
So what do you need? Eggs, fixings, cheese (because cheese deserves it’s own list) and a well seasoned cast iron skillet. I love recipes that are single dish, the clean up is so easy!
Fresh Egg Frittata
- 10" Well Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- 8 Large Eggs (farm fresh is best, in my opinion)
- varies Meats: Sausage, Bacon, Ham, etc (choose your favorites or whatever you have at hand) I use roughly 1 cup each of Bacon and Sausage cooked and crumbled. Feel free to add more or less depending on your families tastes or go meatless.
- varies Veggies: Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms (again choose what you like) I use 1 medium onion diced, 1 large bell pepper diced and a small can of sliced mushrooms.
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese (choose your favorite) I use Sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Dice vegetables and meats.
- Cook meats (sausage and bacon) over Med-High heat in 10" skillet. Set aside to cool and drain most of the grease from the skillet. Leave a tablespoon or so behind to saute the veggies in.
- Saute veggies in skillet until tender. Remove from heat.
- While veggies are cooking, whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Crumble bacon and sausage.
- Combine all ingredients together in large bowl. (egg mixture, cheese, meat and veggies) Stir until evenly mixed and pour into cast iron skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Eggs should be fluffy and lightly browned on the top.Keep an eye on your Frittata while it is cooking, cooking times may vary and burnt eggs are just gross.
That’s it. A simple, quick and easy frittata recipe. It checks all the boxes for a classic go-to, weeknight, farmhouse meal. It is quick, easy and simple. And it gets Kitchen Grinch bonus points for using only a single pot, whatever you have in the fridge and those 8 dozen eggs you need to find something to do with. Not sure who Kitchen Grinch is, read this post on Five Simple Farm and Weeknight Friendly Meals.
Want to try something a little different? Frittatas are endlessly adaptable and are a great way to use up some of the leftovers in you refrigerator. Try using some diced tomatoes, grilled steak, onions and jalapenos. Serve topped with Salsa and Sour Cream for a Mexican twist. Or try Bacon and tomatoes for a take on BLT.
Want more unique twists on this classic and easy dish? Check out these 20 Frittata Recipes from Brit and Co. They even found Frittata Waffles!
Let me know you tried making your own Frittata and what your favorite combination was!
Leave a Reply